Popsicle sticks are good for so much more than just eating popsicles! Did you know that there are many different ways to use popsicle sticks for learning activities with your kids?
The best part is that popsicle sticks are very inexpensive, making them the perfect choice for creating games and activities your kids will love. Here are some of my favorite ways to use popsicle sticks in the classroom!
Ways to Use Popsicle Sticks in the Classroom
1. Cut and hot glue old magnetic business cards to popsicle sticks. Kids can spell their names on the sticks with magnetic letters.
2. Put foam stickers on the ends of popsicle sticks to create stick puppets.
3. Glue magnetic letters or add alphabet stickers to the ends of popsicle sticks. Kids can choose a stick and search for matching letters around the classroom.
4. Write a child’s name on a popsicle stick, then attach a magnet to the back of the stick. Put the stick on a metal cookie sheet and invite kids to make their names underneath with magnetic letters.
Creative Classroom Uses for Popsicle Sticks
5. Use painters tape to attach several popsicle sticks together. Trace a stencil on top of the flat popsicle sticks with a permanent marker. Color in the shape with markers and remove the tape to create an inexpensive puzzle.
6. Hot glue a fake fingernail to end of a popsicle stick to make a fun pointer. Kids will love practicing concepts of print with these pointers.
Popsicle Stick Hacks for the Classroom
7. Add colorful washi tape to popsicle sticks and invite your kids to make patterns.
8. Add washi tape to one side of a popsicle stick. Turn the popsicle sticks over on a flat surface so only the blank side is facing upwards and play a memory game.
9. Hot glue button magnets to the back of colored popsicle sticks. Kids can use these sticks on a magnetic surface to create shapes, numbers, and letters.
10. Attach sticky Velcro dots to the back of craft sticks. Kids will love attaching the sticks together to create shapes, numbers, and letters.
11. Add dots of glitter glue to popsicle sticks to represent numeral quantities. When the glue is dry, kids can match clothespins with dots or written numerals to the sticks.
12. Hot glue mini pom-poms to popsicle sticks to represent numeral quantities. Invite kids to match clothespins with dots or written numerals to the sticks.
13. Use a permanent marker to add colors to a popsicle stick. Color mini clothespins in matching colors. Kids can clip the clothespins to the corresponding colors on the popsicle sticks.
14. Create this super easy and inexpensive domino game by adding a piece of washi tape to end of popsicle sticks.
15. Push colored craft sticks through holes in the lid of a can. Use blank wooden cubes to create one dice and one cube with colored dots. Invite children to roll the cubes and push the corresponding number and color of popsicle sticks into the can through the appropriate holes.
16. This fine motor letter matching activity is sure to keep kids busy! (School Time Snippets)
17. Create dolls with popsicle sticks for endless fun at home or school! (MollyMoo)
18. Need an engaging science activity? Try this super fun popsicle stick chain reaction! (Frugal Fun for Boys and Girls)
19. Make these fun popsicle stick photo puzzles for hours of fun! (My Imaginary Blog)
20. Create these DIY counting sticks to help your kids understand quantities. (The Mommy Talks)
Popsicle Stick Video
What are some other ways you use popsicle sticks at home or in the classroom?
Follow my Popsicle Stick board on Pinterest for more great ideas!