I was inspired to make these bucket stools to use in the classroom after reading about a few different types here, here, and here. As always, I put my own spin on them so they aren’t exactly the same- only because I’m terrible at following somebody else’s directions.
I started with a few supplies:
- Bucket from home improvement store
- Mod Podge
- Fabric: I chose these colors because the stools are going to be used in a blue and green frog themed classroom
- Ribbon: Note, I changed the ribbon out at the last minute because I found some I liked better and I had a coupon
- Foam Brush
- E6000 Glue
- Pinking Shears
- Pencil (not pictured)
- Staple Gun
I traced the lid of the bucket on a piece of cardboard and cut it out with my scissors. Next, I used the cardboard as a template to help me cut the foam to the correct size.
I used E6000 glue to adhere the cardboard to the foam. I did this because my staple gun wouldn’t staple through the lid of the bucket so I had to come up with another plan to create the cushioned seat.
I placed the unfinished cushion foam side down on a piece of green fabric. I cut the fabric to fit and used the staple gun to attach the fabric to the cardboard.
When the cushion was complete I placed it on some more green fabric and used my pinking shears to cut a square around it to create the “drape”. Why pinking shears you ask? Because I can’t sew! I also had to hide the large lip on the bucket and a skirt seemed the best way to do it. Another reason is because it reminded me of a lily pad and since these are going into a frog themed classroom I thought it would be a cute touch. I attached the skirt and the cushion to the lid using E6000 glue.
Once the lid skirt was complete I measured the bucket and cut the blue fabric to size. I coated the outside of the bucket with Mod Podge using my brush and then attached the blue fabric about 6 inches at a time smoothing out wrinkles as I went. I allowed the fabric to dry for a few hours and then I used the E6000 glue to adhere the ribbon to the bottom of the bucket. I tried using Mod Podge for this task but it didn’t work.
Because I already had a lot of these supplies on hand, like Mod Podge, pinking shears, brush, staple gun, and cardboard this project only cost me about $10 total. The fabric was the most expensive part, if I had waited for a fabric sale it would have cost less.
If you enjoyed this post please forward a link to your friends or use the buttons below to share the link on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites. Don’t forget to sign-up for the new weekly newsletter.