Preschool, Pre-K, and Kindergarten printable sub plans. An electronic sub binder to make planning for a substitute teacher easier!
Everything you need to organize and plan effectively and efficiently for a substitute teacher, guest teacher, or relief teacher in your preschool, pre-k, or kindergarten classroom. Never be caught off guard again!
Printable Substitute Packet
Preparing for a substitute can be a daunting task for any teacher, especially for those who teach young children.
Teachers often decide not to call in sick when they should just to avoid preparing for a substitute because it’s so time consuming.
How to Prepare for a Sub
Top tips for preparing for a substitute:
- 1. Always plan ahead by having substitute plans ready to go at any time
- 2. Use a sub folder or binder to store all the necessary information for substitutes
- 3. Place the sub folder or binder in an area where the substitute is sure to see it
- 4. Update your class list and information in your substitute folder as soon as any changes are made
- 5. Make an extra copy of your lesson plans each week and place them in your substitute folder
- 6. Include a welcome message to your substitute in the folder
- 7. Include a way for subs to leave feedback for you
A good tip for preparing for a sub in preschool or kindergarten is to provide a page in your substitute folder with the names and pictures of each student. Preschool and kindergarten students are often shy around strangers and may not always say their names when asked. Some students may not be native English speakers or have speech impairments that will make understanding their names difficult, this is where the pictures and name labels come in very useful for a substitute teacher.
Another tip is to create a sub CD or playlist on your iPod, fill the CD or playlist with songs your students are familiar with and have a book to go along with them. For example, have the song The Wheels on the Bus and a book so the substitute can turn the pages and the students can sing along as the song plays. If you use a CD, add a small sticker to the back of each book with the track number written on it so the substitute will know which song to play.
Printable Substitute Planning Guide
I have developed a Substitute Packet that includes 100 pages to help you prepare effectively and efficiently for a substitute teacher. The Substitute Packet will help you:
- Save time by putting all the essential ingredients for a substitute folder together in one thorough and concise package.
- Feel more at ease knowing that your substitute has everything he or she needs to be successful.
- Plan ahead for those unexpected absences that leave you scrambling.
- Substitute Welcome Letter
- Important Times
- Contact Information
- Daily Schedule
- Classroom Rules
- Behavior Management
- Class List
- Lunch & Recess Procedures
- After School Transportation
- Emergency Procedures
- Student Birthdays
- Nap Procedures
- Note to Teacher
Just type in the information that is specific to your classroom and school and you will be prepared for a substitute. All pages are available in both black and white and color, just choose the ones that best meet your needs. Type directly into the document to customize the pages.
Please read the Product FAQ’s before you make a purchase.
More Teaching Tips and Resources from Pre-K Pages