Groundhog Day on February 2 can be a fun way to talk about seasons or hibernation. Your children may want to know more about groundhogs or explore science with light and shadows. These groundhog day activities can get you started on a fun groundhog theme for winter.
Groundhog Day and Shadow Activities
- Body Shadows (Pre-K Pages) – Let’s use our bodies to explore the science behind shadows while incorporating fun movement games too.
- Animal Silhouettes (Little Bins for Little Hands) – With Groundhogs Day approaching, make simple animal shadow puppets and explore a fun shadow science physics activity!
- Draw the Shadow (Little Bins for Little Hands) – This drawing shadows STEAM activity is perfect for unplugged play.
- Groundhog Sensory Bin (Teach Preschool) – Make your own groundhog work boxes for students to pretend with!
- Groundhog Snack Idea (Best Ideas for Kids) – These groundhog day pudding cups would be so much fun to make with kids and they will have even more fun eating them afterwards!
- Groundhog Craft (Play with Me) – Recycle some old egg cartons for this fun groundhog craft idea!
- Shadow Theater Guessing Game (Motherhood on a Dime) – When the sun isn’t bright outdoors, you can still explore shadows inside with a make-shift shadow theater.
- Shadow Outdoor Art (Rhythms of Play) -This shadow sidewalk chalk art project for kids is a hands on STEAM activity to learn about shadow science.
- Match the Shadow Building Activity (Hands On: As We Grow) – Have fun exploring shadows using a flashlight!
- Lego Groundhog Shadow Experiment (JDaniel4’s Mom) – If you have a preschooler that loves LEGOs, then they will love building this Lego groundhog!
- Hiding Groundhog Puppet (Skip to My Lou) – Need a last minute craft idea? Then try making this adorable groundhog finger puppets.
More Groundhog Day Activities
- Chalk Shadow Drawings (Still Playing School)- Grab some sidewalk chalk and have fun exploring shadows in this outdoor activity.
- Groundhog Finger Puppet (Still Playing School) – When Groundhog’s Day is coming up soon this is a fun fine motor groundhog puppet craft to celebrate! These are fast, easy, and economical to make with a whole classroom.
- Shadow Puppets (Science Sparks) – Explore shadow science with this shadow puppet activity your preschoolers won’t forget.
- Groundhog Day Books (A Dab of Glue Will Do) – Need a good Groundhog book for your learners to engage with? Here are 12 books about Groundhog’s Day!
- Groundhog Day Graphing (Preschool Powol Packets) – Incorporate some math and graphing skills into Groundhog’s day in a fun, engaging way!
- Paper Bag Groundhog (Artsy Momma) – Make a paper groundhog that actually pops up and down!
- Paper Plate Groundhog (Homeschool Parent) – Grab a paper plate and some paint and have your preschoolers make their own groundhog!
- Easy Groundhog Paper Bag Puppet (Kids Activities) – Groundhog’s Day is coming up soon so we created a fine motor groundhog puppet craft to celebrate! These are fast, easy, and economical to make with a whole classroom.
- Groundhog Shadow Match Game (Totschooling) – Match the groundhog to its shadow! Here is a fun little free printable activity for toddlers and preschoolers to practice visual discrimination skills while celebrating Groundhog Day.
- Groundhog Measurement (Coffee Cups and Crayons) – Turn Groundhog’s day into a perfect measuring lesson for your preschoolers by measuring shadows!
- Leaping Groundhogs Game (JDaniel4’s Mom) – Create these fun leaping Groundhogs out of simple materials.