Kids love to create while they learn. Classroom recipes are the perfect way to make learning hands-on and memorable!
My boys love to make homemade playdough, especially pumpkin playdough!
This pumpkin pie play dough recipe is so easy and it only requires two ingredients. This fall preschool cooking activity makes it perfect for the classroom!
Pumpkin Playdough Recipe
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- cornstarch (the amount will vary, we used about 2 cups+)
Dump the can of pumpkin puree into a bowl.
Begin to shake in the cornstarch about half a cup at a time. Use a spoon or spatula to stir and combine.
Each brand of puree has a different level of moisture, so the amount of cornstarch used will be based on the moisture level.
We used the Trader Joe brand puree and easily used 2 cups of cornstarch.
Pumpkin Playdough Video (part 1)
- Stir and add until it reaches a playdough-like texture.
- Feel with your hands to ensure it is no longer sticky.
- Keep adding cornstarch until it is no longer sticky.
- If you accidentally add too much cornstarch, just add a few drops of water to soften it back up.
- You can also add a few tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice for an extra festive scent.
Pumpkin Playdough (part 2)
The pumpkin pie playdough recipe should be the same consistency as regular store bought playdough.
Place it on a work station and let them play.
We used cookie cutters, rolling pins, Lego’s, etc., to make fun creations.
My boys loved this.
It is a great opportunity to work in some life skills and let them help “cook”.
How do you store pumpkin playdough?
You can store this pumpkin pie play dough in a Ziplock bag in the fridge for about 5 days.
More Fall Activities
This pumpkin pie play dough activity was easy and fun. Here are a few more ideas to explore in the Fall with your preschoolers.
- Little Red Hen Activities For Fall – The story of the Little Red Hen is a great one for expanding with different types of activities. As you explore fall, harvest, farm, or cooperation themes, use these activities to supplement and support learning through this traditional story.
- Fall Sensory Bin for Preschool Sensory Play– No matter where you live, your little learners will have a blast with this fall themed sensory bin! It’s super simple to set up at home or in your preschool classroom.
- Fall Tinker Tray– Inspire seasonal art and engineering with a Fall Tinker Tray for preschoolers! This flexible invitation to create allows children to work on fine motor, social, and creative skills simultaneously. The possibilities are endless!
More Thanksgiving Activities
Crystal is a Dallas Mom Blogger raising a houseful of boys. She is passionate about homeschooling her children, sharing activities for kids, as well as mommy resources and solutions like easy recipes for busy families.