Valentine’s Day can be a very fun and exciting time for children. This homemade snack idea is a healthier option you might consider to replace the more traditional holiday sweets. Children can make these sandwiches to eat or to give as a simple gift.
This homemade jam uses just three natural ingredients and is easy to make! Assembling the snack takes under a minute and kids will love the tasty simplicity of it. It’s also a great opportunity to cook with kids at home or in the classroom!
To make the jam:
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries – cleaned, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Place all three ingredients into a large saucepan, cover, and place over a medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, lower the heat and cook for another 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool.
- Transfer to a jar or container with a lid and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Valentine Sandwich Snack
For each sandwich:
- Gather two slices of bread (we used wholegrain white bread) and 1 tablespoon of strawberry jam.
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut a heart out of the center of one piece of bread.
- Spread the jam over the non-cut slice, then cover with the cut slice.
Adults could assemble this for younger children in advance, or older, more mature kids could make the sandwich themselves!
Provide each child in your small group with two slices of bread, a small bowl of jam, and a spoon. They can share the heart cookie cutter.
Inviting children to assemble this snack on their own is a great way to provide practice developing fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, self-help, and independence.
You can use plastic knives, butter knives, or even popsicle sticks if safety is a concern.
Do you have any leftover jam? Try making these jam straws! So easy!
BIO: Georgina is a mom that loves to do lots of activities with her son. She blogs about art, crafts and activities for young children on Craftulate. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Follow my Valentine’s Day Pinterest Board for more great ideas!